Human beings can go about a week without food but no more than a few days without water. Which is why it is so important to be able to find safe drinking water and if you can’t find it, make it! Water is also important enough that scientists believe that in order to find life beyond Earth, water is essential. So it’s necessary for us and whoever else is out there.
If possible, try to drink safe clean water to avoid getting sick. Anything that does not belong in water such as microbial and organic contaminants can make you sick. We will discuss 3 main methods of purifying water. There is also a cheating method of making clean and safe water with filters down below, if you want to know more Click Here.
Before doing these methods, allow the water to sit in a bottle for about 10 minutes to allow the physical contaminants to settle to the bottom. Pour off the top 3/4 of the bottle and you are ready to move to the next step.
5 sec 30 sec 1 min 5 min
TIP: You can also us a coffee filter to get rid of sediment in the water by running the water through the coffee filter.
Boiling (Very Easy)
- Bring the clear water to a rolling boil for 1 minute (above 6,500 feet, boil for three minutes).
- Let the boiled water cool.
- Store the boiled water in clean sanitized* containers with watertight covers.
*For clarification, a few drops of bleach in 1/2 cup of water will sanitize the container.
This is the easiest method to purify tap water at home.
Disinfectant (unscented household liquid chlorine bleach)
If supplied, follow directions on bottle to make drinking water. If not, continue reading….
- Based on 1% concentration of sodium hypochlorite use the following amounts:
For 1 quart of water use 10 drops of bleach from a dropper OR 1/8 of a teaspoon of bleach
For 1 gallon of water use 40 drops of bleach from a dropper OR 1/2 of a teaspoon of bleach
2. Shake the mixture up well and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
3. Store the boiled water in clean sanitized* containers with watertight covers
This process involves boiling water then collecting the vapor that condenses back to water.
- Fill a pot halfway with water.
- Tie a cup to the handle on the pot’s lid so the cup dangles right side up while the lid is upside down to collect the water.
This is also a safe way to make salt or ocean water safe to drink as the salts will remain in the pot.
There are too many filter to discuss here on the market. If you want to take a look at a few highly rated water filters, Click Here. Read the packaging to see if it purifies water from unknown sources. This is a topic for another time but this is more of a prepared survivalist to have the proper drinking water filter to make water safe to drink before the filter is needed.
Here are some very nice 7 gallon water containers from Amazon.
- Rigid, 7-gallon rectangular water container with molded contour grip
- Space-saving design for easy storing and stacking when empty
- New and improved screw-on vent; hideaway spigot for on-demand water dispensing
- Suitable for outdoors activities and emergency water storage
- Five-year warranty against manufacturer’s defects